G'day! Hope you enjoy my adventures from Down Under!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sydney Opera House

This Monday was Labour Day in Victoria (states in Australia determine their own public holidays, so other states may celebrate it at a different time). For the long weekend, I got the amazing opportunity to go to Sydney. Peter and Helen served as great tour guides and I got to see a great deal of the city. I was definitely exhausted when we got back to Geelong. I don't know that I've ever been on so many forms of transportation in such a short amount of time: car, plane, bus, train, ferry, monorail, light rail, and LOTS of walking. I really fell in love with this city. If you ever get the chance to go to Australia, make sure you stop in Sydney. The one place I wanted to visit most when I found out I was placed in Australia was Sydney's Opera House. I remember seeing a picture of it in elementary school and dreaming that I would get to visit it one day. I feel VERY lucky this dream came true. I will post other pictures of Sydney later, but this post will focus on the Opera House

We left Geelong very early in the morning and actually had breakfast in Sydney. I got a few pictures in front of the Opera House while no one was around. You'll see in later pics how rare this chance really was.

While Peter and Helen have been to Sydney several times before, they had never taken a tour of the Opera House. We went on the one hour tour and got to learn all about how it was designed and built. This is a view from the inside (the Sydney Harbour Bridge can be seen through the windows).




This is the Concert Hall--the largest hall in the Opera House. I couldn't take pictures inside the other halls because they were preparing for productions.


The Opera House! You can see there were more people out in the afternoon.


Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House


Another view--sorry, I'm kind of obsessed with it.


This is a view of the harbour from inside the Opera House.

We took several ferries while in Sydney and I think I took pictures of the Opera House every time we went by it. So, you can see it from pretty much every angle...



Not only did I get to see the Opera House all weekend long and take a tour of it, I also got to see a live performance of Benjamin Britten's A Midsummer Night's Dream. While planning out my trip, I decided I couldn't resist seeing a performance while I was in Sydney. I was going to get a cheaper seat, but thanks to my parents, I had an awesome seat for the matinee on Saturday afternoon. My trip to Australia wouldn't have happened without my parents (or I would be in a HUGE amount of debt), but this was beyond anything I expected and I'm very thankful to them for it. The opera was amazing, but obviously I wasn't allowed to take any photographs while there. If you'd like a glimpse of what I got to experience, check it out here:
I will have many more pics of Sydney up very soon!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome!