G'day! Hope you enjoy my adventures from Down Under!

Friday, March 26, 2010

Jirrahlinga

The past few weeks have been really busy for me, so I haven't had time to add new posts on here. But, today was the last day of Term 1 and I now have two weeks of holidays! I hope to have lots of new pictures to add during this time.


A few weekends ago, I went to a place called Jirrahlinga with Charlotte and her host mum, Laurel. Jirrahlinga is Aboriginal for "seek a home for a kangaroo." Injured animals are taken there to be treated and given a safe place to live. We saw all kinds of animals, including lots of birds and reptiles, but most people seem to be more interested in koalas and kangaroos. So, most of my pictures will focus on animals that are typical "Australian" animals.


I really wanted to get a good shot of the koalas, but they just weren't having it. Apparently they sleep about 18 hours a day because of all the eucalyptus they eat. Sorry, but this was the best I could do...


I've always heard koalas are mean animals, but they still look cuddly, so I thought they were cute.


Sleeping away...



This goose tried to storm through a gate to get Charlotte. She was truly terrified!


Because Jirrahlinga is an animal sanctuary, they get all kinds of injured animals. They also get orphaned animals. This is where the orphaned kangaroos are kept. They actually sleep in these makeshift pouches.


Baby Kangaroo


Group of Kangaroos--I always wanted to see a kangaroo and I'm glad I got the chance, but they're really dirty animals. I don't think they're very cute up close. Most of the Australians I've spoken to regard kangaroos about the same way Americans view deer.



The more I looked at them, the more they reminded me of rats. And for those of you that know me very well--you know I'm NOT a fan of varmints.

If you look closely, you can see the baby kangaroo in its mother's pouch.



Kangaroos hopping around


Emu


This is a wombat--another popular "Australian" animal. I also thought it was kind of gross.
Hope you enjoyed the animals! During my first week of holidays, I'm planning to visit Phillip Island, which has a huge colony of penguins. So, hopefully I will have some more pics of little creatures for you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome!