G'day! Hope you enjoy my adventures from Down Under!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Saturday at Torquay

Last Wednesday I started my placement at Bellaire Primary School. The first three days consisted of professional development, unit planning, and time for teachers to get their classrooms ready. I have been placed in a class of 1st and 2nd grade students. I'm really excited about this age group and my cooperating teacher. Mrs. Barry has taught for several years and all of the teachers at the school say she has a great way with the kids and they all love her. Tomorrow will be the very first day of school for students, so wish me luck!
On Saturday, I got the chance to go to Torquay. This is a little beach town that's known as the gateway to the Great Ocean Road. A student teacher from Auburn University has also been placed at Bellaire Primary. She is staying with a family that has a son our age, so we joined him and his friends at the beach.


Torquay Beach
This is another shot of the beach. If you look closely, there are people cliff diving from the huge rock. We were told they were mostly locals...but they're definitely braver than me.
I took this pic mostly for my brother because he was obsessed with John Deere when he was little. I never thought I would see a John Deere tractor on the beach in AUSTRALIA...
A cliff next to the beach



I actually got in the water this time! It was really cold, but the waves were great!

This is Charlotte (the student teacher from Auburn) and Chris (her host mum's son) and his friends.


More ocean pics:



Now that I have officially started student teaching, it will be harder to post new pics. But, I will try to add as much as I can. Hope these pics have warmed you up a bit!






2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Katisha! So glad you are able to stay with the host family you started with. I, too, loved the little shops. I always said my time in Australia was like a time-warp, like being in America 25 years prior! They used only radiator heat, had drying rooms instead of clothes dryers, left ketchup at room temp in a cupboard, etc. Praying you enjoy a safe and adventurous time. The teachers thought I was wealthy because I wore different clothes each day...unlike their habit/culture of wearing an outfit 2-3 days. I was there in winter (June-Aug)so it may be different in the warmer months. Warning: The private school had tea and fresh cookies EVERYDAY at 3, hence 15lb weight gain but I still to this day drink hot tea w/ milk! LOVE IT! And, watch out for beet-root and butter on your sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They must have stepped it up a little bit since you were here. They all wear different clothes each day, but there are certainly some things that make me think it's a time warp...The school I'm at had morning tea (lots of cookies) the first day, but you have to buy them now, so I just don't take money. I too, really like milk in my tea! How funny is that? They definitely drink enough of it, too. Some days I think they have at least 4 cups! Glad you're enjoying the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Comments Welcome!