G'day! Hope you enjoy my adventures from Down Under!

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Exploring Geelong

I survived my first full day in Australia! Yesterday Helen, my host mum, picked me up from the airport in Melbourne and brought me home to Geelong. She and her husband, Peter, are very nice and fun to be around. I was on my own for a little while today while Peter and Helen had work and lunches to attend. So, I took a bus into Geelong (I'm staying in a suburb that is just outside of the city) to see what I could find.


This is a view of the bay---sail boats are apparently very popular here. It was a little cloudy at times today, but the sun came out not long after I got to the water.


These tents were being set up all along the water for Australia Day.


I'll leave you with these painted bollards. They are found all around the waterfront. They tell the history of this area in their own little way. I thought they were pretty cool. These are some of my favorites:

Tomorrow I will meet Peter's kids and my host family is planning to get some time on the water. I'm pretty excited and I'll post new pics when I can!







3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you started this blog!! I love the pictures!! Have so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Katisha! I stayed in downtown Geelong at a hospital dormitory while there. I spent half of my time at Geelong College (private) and the other half at Geelong High School (I think that was the name?). I hope you are able to travel a lot while there. Musts: Great Ocean Road, Coober Pedy-opal mines (north of Adelaide), Melbourne, try to find someone to let you drive while there (Kathy/Jerry...your insurance will cover it ;) LOL!). One goal you might try: No American food (no fast food like McDonalds). I broke down once for McD fries, Ha! So excited for you...definitely an experience of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane--I went to Lorne today, so I got to see some of the Great Ocean Road. Hopefully I'll be able to venture further down the road to the 12 Apostles at some point....

    ReplyDelete

Comments Welcome!