G'day! Hope you enjoy my adventures from Down Under!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Phillip Island

Phillip Island has a lot more to offer than just native wildlife. It is also an incredibly beautiful island full of nature parks and views of the coast.


This is a view of one of many of Phillip Island's beaches during the day.


Below you can see the Nobbies. They were formed millions of years ago by volcanic spurts.


The Nobbies is the site of Australia's largest colony of fur seals. Unfortunately, the number of seals you can see peaks from October-December during their mating season. Then, most of the seals leave the rocks at the end of summer. So, we didn't get to see any seals, but the coast was very pretty and we got to see a few penguins in their burrows.


I'm fascinated by water, so I felt pretty lucky when I caught a huge wave hitting at just the right moment...


...And after the wave had crashed...



Boardwalk along the Nobbies Centre



On the right is a blow hole, which made an awesome sound when the water rushed in.


Here I am with the whole group that went to Phillip Island. Charlotte is the other American student and her parents came over to visit for the holidays. Laurel, in the front, is her host mum and grew up on the island.


This is the beach before the penguins came in. It was a full moon, so the sky was gorgeous. The rangers said the penguins often stay out at sea when it's a full moon, though, so we didn't get to see quite as many penguins as usual.

In a few days I will be flying to Cairns, which is in northern Australia, to meet my parents! I'm very excited about seeing them for the first time in over 2 months and getting to see a very different part of Australia than what I've already seen. The internet may be kind of sketchy where we're staying, but I will try to post pics when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome!