G'day! Hope you enjoy my adventures from Down Under!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Port Campbell and the Twelvish Apostles

I just got back from a FABULOUS weekend at Port Campbell. Peter's brother, Richard, lives here with his family. Port Campbell is a quaint little ocean town located on the Great Ocean Road. The picture below shows half of the town.
There are some great sites located near Port Campbell. The largest attraction to the Port Campbell National Park is the "Twelve Apostles". These are huge rock stacks that rise out of the ocean water. Apparently there used to be twelve....but erosion has taken a toll on them and there aren't that many anymore.
The coastline through here is also known as the "shipwreck coastline" because of the treacherous waves and their reputation for causing shipwrecks.
I asked why the Twelve Apostles received their name and I was told it was pretty much just because they stood out so much in the water and there were twelve of them.

You can see some of the Apostles here. The pile of rocks in the forefront is the latest casualty of the Apostles.



Here I am with Jess in front of some of the Apostles. She hates hugs, so I decided to torture her...








An Apostle



Here I am with my host family--Jess, Sam, Helen, and Peter.

Here is the whole Weston crew! Richard and his family were great tour guides.
I had WAY too many pics to put in one blog post, so stay tuned for more. We also visited Loch Ard, which is the site of a famous shipwreck, the Arch, London Bridge (well...what's left of it), and the Grotto. They will be up soon!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome!