G'day! Hope you enjoy my adventures from Down Under!

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Hobart: A.K.A. Civilization

After driving around Tasmania for a day and a half, Charlotte and I were excited to see lights, cars, and people again. Charlotte went to New Zealand over the holidays and made a friend that lives in Hobart. He was kind enough to drive us to the top of Mount Wellington and show us around. Here we are at the top of the mountain. Hobart is behind us.

Another view from the top of the mountain.


Every Saturday, there is a market on Salamanca Street. We missed the market, but there are some great little shops in this area. You can see Mount Wellington in the background.


After going to Mount Wellington and shopping, we decided to go the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens. This is the second oldest botanical garden in Australia.


Tasmania is further south than Geelong, so it is cooler than where I've been staying. It is Fall (or Autumn, as they call it) in the southern hemisphere, but it doesn't look anything like a Kentucky Fall. A few trees have changed color and lost their leaves, but not very many. In Tasmania, I saw a lot more trees with colorful leaves and it reminded me of the Fall I'm used to.

More of the Botanical Gardens


This is the Tasman Bridge, which is the main route from the center of Hobart to the eastern shore.

After spending some time in the gardens, we went to Seven Mile Beach, which is about 25-30 minutes from the center of Hobart. It was pretty, but also very cold. Charlotte and I were wrapped up in fleeces and hoodies and we were still freezing from the wind. This didn't stop two little boys from swimming in the water though.
Our last night in Tassi was spent in Hobart. We took Charlotte's friend's advice and ate fish 'n' chips at a place called Mures. It was a laid back atmosphere and the fish was fresh off the boat. This is the view we had at dinner.

It's hard to believe, but my time in Australia is coming to an end. I had a great last week at school and my cooperating teacher and students threw me a surprise party. They also gave me beautiful cards and I had a hard time leaving them on Friday. Last night my host mum and Charlotte's host mum threw a farewell party for both of us. It was great to see my new friends one last time before I fly back. I expected it to be difficult to come to Australia, but I underestimated how difficult it would be to leave. However, I'm very excited to see everyone back home and will begin my flight back tomorrow morning. Time to pack :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome!